View Single Post
      11-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #16
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Was there always oil in the eccentric shaft sensor? If yes, then that's why you SA was telling you you need a valve cover gasket change.... cause you do. Changing that sensor requires the valve cover to come off.

EDIT: After I re-read the thread, it appears you had two separate problems going on. Either your SA did a very poor job of explaining it to you or you just misunderstood, regardless, separate symptoms equal separate problems.

If there was grime around the valvetronic motor/top of the engine then it was coming from the valvetronic motor gasket. If there is oil in the eccentric shaft sensor then it needs to be changed, which does require the valve cover to be removed. Doing the fix for the eccentric shaft sensor would actually involve changing both gaskets, but I still wouldn't pay $1k+ to have someone fix it. The valve cover gasket is around $60 and the aluminum screws (if required) are about $27/set, then you're just looking at an afternoon's worth of work with the right tools.

I think you are right. The SA looked new. I think the tech probably told him that the valve cover needs to be replaced to change the sensor and he misunderstood that to mean the valvetronic motor seal. I had asked him a few times because it didn't appear logical or even necessary just looking at it.

I will probably just follow up and let him know so he has an idea. THere is a minimal amount of oil in the sensor. I am confident I can change it out if need be but I rather not do it until necessary.
Appreciate 0