View Single Post
      06-22-2010, 11:36 PM   #215
E92Vancouver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 E46 & 2007 E92 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGxi View Post
Retrofit for BMW assist will also get you 1 year free service? That is interesting!

I guess since I sourced my own parts, the dealer had to find some way to make some money.

I will most likely try to source the overhead console from US or from other sources. It looks like your dealer gave you a discount for your parts!
Yes, I got a discount. I told the dealer I was on the fence about this option even though I wasn't. They asked if 10% would push me off the fence and do the deal. The rest is history.

The BMW Assist is awesome. If you get into an accident, BMW Assist is called right away. They know if the air bags have gone off and how many people are in the car. An operator will ask you if you are okay. Pretty cool.

The cost is expensive but worth it and this is why it is so expensive:

1. The TCU has a GPS built into it. If you get into an accident or need assistance, BMW Assist knows exactly where you are. When I call in, they tell me what street I am on.

2. The TCU has a built in 3 watt GSM cell phone. If you forget your cell phone, you can still talk to BMW Assist. If you get into an accident and don't have a cell phone or if your cell battery is dead, BMW Assist can call you and vice versa with the built in 3 watt GSM cell phone. This phone has its own phone number but BMW will not tell you the number. It is strictly for communications between BMW Assist and the car.

3. You get a bluetooth hands free kit. When a call comes in, the stereo is automatically muted and the caller ID is displayed on the radio. Your steering wheel controls work.

The call comes through on all of the car's front speakers and sounds awesome.

The stereo head unit has some cool features like caller ID, last 8 numbers dialed (with names), call time, length of call and your top 8 calls.

The other thing I love is that my address book on my PC (outlook) syncs wirelessly with my Blackberry, My Blackberry syncs wirelessly with my BMW address book. Very cool.

The voice dialing is awesome too!!!

Syncing between the car and the phone is seamless as you get in and out of the car.
Appreciate 0