03-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #54
Doyle
Hellafunctional
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will335i View Post
Anyone else lost. HAHA
Ok, here is what I'm getting. Harold, correct me if I'm wrong. It seems like there are 4 "products" here that people are asking about:

1-f30 performance brakes (calipers, rotors, lines, pads)
2-brembo part #98.5030.40
3-calipers in the first post w/ e90 rotors
4-calipers in the first post w/ f30 rotors

1 & 4 are essentially the same. Look at the current e8x/9x "performance brakes". Essentially they are just repainted 135i calipers with fancy rotors. So, it stands to reason that the f30 "performance" calipers are the same as the stock calipers, with a simple dress up kit.

3 & 4: It is a simple caliper bracket upgrade in order to use the f30 calipers on an otherwise unmodified e90. However, the f30 brake rotors will not fit on an e90 due to carrier/spindle incompatibility. So, if you want the bigger rotors, the swap snowballs into basically having to replace most of the front suspension.

2: Is the biggest mystery to me. There are two potential reasons for this. The first is that the caliper is that brembo part number, but BMW specifies the specifics (piston sizes, pad sizes, etc). More likely (from what I've seen from other vendors) is that the brembo pamphlet is a generic pamphlet that is included with a variety of brake calipers from Brembo's OEM stuff. Clearly those 8 piston calipers are not the same as the 4 piston ones we're looking at. Even though, the OP in the audi thread purchased those parts OEM.
Appreciate 0