View Single Post
      08-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #822
bluecrab
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive E90 LCI

From my understanding, the headlight assemblies in older BMWs utilize a special type of glue to secure the clear lens to the reflector side. This glue, when heated in an oven, becomes pliable and, with care and finesse, the two halves can be coaxed apart. This technique is called "baking" your headlights because you literally bake them in an oven. Baked headlights can then be resealed using a similar type of glue... pretty much the same as stock when done.

BMW started using an epoxy to seal the halves together in their newer cars. The epoxy does not soften when heated, so people like OSS have to CUT your lenses to get them apart (I believe they use a Dremel). Because of this, there is no foolproof way to seal the two halves back together. Maybe they use SuperGlue (or epoxy?) to get the pieces stuck together, but the consensus is that they then apply a bead of silicone around the cut to make a watertight seal.

I was *just* about to send my headlights to OSS when I discovered that they would be cut open (this was back in June 2013). There is no way I'm going to let anyone take a saw to my still-new 2011 E90 LCI headlights. Nope, not an option. So I cancelled my order and installed some LUX Angel Eye LEDs instead. Yeah, they're not as bright at the OSS solution, but they're bright enough for me. And now that all of the new 2013/14 BMWs are shipping with those insanely bright angel eyes, well, I think my dimmer AEs look better.
Appreciate 0