View Single Post
      10-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #20
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3CDFR View Post
I have kind of put this to the side because after several back and forth discussions with BMW AG, they refunded the price of the navigation system and the BMW Assist because they don't work properly for me in Europe on a US-spec car (BMW Assist does not work at all and neither does traffic info/CBS service system). Important to note here that I had asked BMW AG about these functions (and the radio) before I bought the car through diplomatic sales and was told they would work (I ordered my '09 before they switched to '09 production so I only had BMW info to go on). I knew from prior experience with E36 and E46 M3s that the FM radios could be switched over to european freqs.

I am grateful that BMW did come through with a refund of the price of these systems (after many, many discussions and a letter to the head of BMW sales). If, as BMW AG maintains, the radio/BMW Assist/Navigation cannot be upgraded/modified to work (or work properly) in Europe, then BMW AG have done right by me in refunding the cost of these crippled or non-operative systems (although BMW still does make clear in their diplomatic sales program that there are these limitations on their cars, which I recommended they do). They will definitely keep me as a customer (not only because of this but also because of how much I enjoy the M3).

On the other hand, I think I know enough about the systems now from much research and discussion with BMW to doubt that they cannot be made to work here. And several other US-spec BMW owners have had the FM radio and traffic info systems working fine in Europe, only to lose the functions after a software update -- what can be swtiched off that way can surely be turned back on.

My sense is that BMW decided it is not worth the cost of even looking into the problem for now (I say now, because I think as BMW makes these electronic systems more integral to the car--whether the accident reporting on BMW Assist or scheduling/tracking service etc--they will run into a problem in being able to continue to sell US-spec cars, especially in Germany where there are quite a few and abount 7-8 full time dealers selling them).

As an aside, when I have a little more time on my hands, I am going to try to open the telematics unit to see if I can swap out the AT&T SIM card for a european one (T-Mobile probably). I want to see if swapping the SIM cards does anything at all (I suspect not).
Perhaps BMWAG has not been very clear in their explanations, but both the iDrive (CCC and CIC) and the TCU have a particular and specific different hardware between the USA and Europe. There are options and features that are simply beyond a software update (HD and Satellite radio for example). Especially the Assist, as the USA TCU is not set to be GSM Global (in the case of the GSM TCU version), so even if you find that elusive SIM card it simply won't work.

In the case of Traffic, that's easy because the hardware and software is there thru either RDS or by the Clear Channel service.
Appreciate 0