03-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #44
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post

No one here has said the cop should be excused for his actions. Everyone agrees with you that he deserves consequences for his actions.

No one has said he should get special treatment, some of us are for equal treatment. Some others want to stand him in front of a firing squad.

No one wants to make an allowance for his mistakes either. He should be punished for them as you or i would be. He shouldn't have been forced to resign.

I'm interested to know how many times and how have cops endangered your life?
But see, if he were punished "as you or I would be" he WOULD have lost his job and would be in jail for vehicular assault and leaving the scene. I would have lost my last job for too many speeding tickets, never mind a felony charge!

I've lost time of the number of times I've been cut off by police cars changing lanes without signaling, checking mirrors, etc. I've been run off of the Baltimore beltway onto the shoulder (in a bright red car no less) by a police officer diving for his exit at the last minute. I've been tailgated with less than a hood length's distance for miles on end by cops trying to get me to do something that they can pull be over for. I really don't understand it as there are so many bad drivers that I see every day around here and yet the seem to target old (I've always driven older cars except for the Bimmer) or fast-looking cars...

I also was once ticketed on US-50 for something I didn't even do; turns out (as I found by talking to people in the courtroom) that this officer would cruise the highway in an unmarked car, fly up behind "sporty" looking cars (I would estimate that he was doing at least 90+) in the fast lane, then ticket them for speeding when they sped up to move out of his way. I was so pissed off by this behavior that I fought it, especially since the cop lied to my face and said that he'd paced me for some fraction of a mile when I was watching my mirrors the whole time, he was driving like a lunatic and was never pacing me, and I was stuck behind a left lane blocker and never exceeded 60 MPH. He didn't show but the judge didn't even dismiss my ticket I had to go back again, the second time the judge finally dismissed my ticket but was rude, unprofessional and condescending and told a group of us who all had tickets that were from the same officer that he believed that we were all guilty and that we were getting a gift. I couldn't believe that he could say that but I wasn't about to mouth off to a judge who just dismissed my ticket.

Basically I've been conditioned to believe that traffic cops are out to get you any way they can, and the system is set up to screw the motorist, this is why I'm always running Trapster, a dash cam app, and my V-1 (when legal to do so - I live in VA and never use it in-state.) In my experience, the police are also some of the most aggressive, least safe drivers on the road, even when not using their lights.

I'm not saying *all* cops are bad... but it is never safe to assume that any particular cop is not, because so many of them seem to just want to write tickets, deserved or not, and have an "I'm above the law" attitude.
Appreciate 0