bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseM3
Really hate to say this and I'm hope I'm totally wrong(being a bimmer owner for >35yrs) but the front end of the car just looks like it's not very aerodynamic. Let's push some air at 190mph against a brick wall and see how much air resistance we can achieve? How come the 911's or the vettes don't have a wall to run against? Please explain. I feel we are in for a disappointing season.
Aerodynamics is not an entirely intuitive science. It's actually rather counterintuitive. For example, a raindrop is a nearly perfect aerodynamic shape, and it is fattest at the front. Look at nearly any LMP1 car. Notice how bulbous the headlight nacelles are at the front and tapered the car is at the rear.

Also, the amount of drag produced by the frontal profile is minimal in comparison to the drag generated by the downforce-generating aero on a GTLM car.

The final thing you have to keep in mind is that this is class-based, regulated racing. None of these cars represent the absolute limit of what is possible; they represent what will be competitive within the regulations. That's why the do all this testing. IMSA uses regulations to keep all the cars competitive out of the box, and then applies balance of power adjustments to keep things competitive if a car is shown to be too performant.

If anything, we can expect the M6 GTLM to run at the front during its first few races, provided the tens don't run in to gremlins. Teams have to learn the new car, so during testing, the car appears slower than its full capability. As the crews learn the new platform, the M6 will improve. IMSA will step in with a BoP adjustment, and team's fate for the season will be decided. Too much penalty, and their season is crushed. Not enough, and the droves of Porsche fans will intimidate IMSA in to squashing the M6. If they're lucky, the BoP is just right and we get a competitive season all around.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 1