View Single Post
      02-15-2006, 02:42 PM   #14
eleven24
Foppa!
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Your post reminded me of something that happened to me last week - everyone should take note, because it was a scam.

This "customer service rep" calls one morning at my house and talks to my wife. He says he's from T-Mobile & our cellular account is past due. He even gives my wife the cell #, which was correct. He says that it appears that we recently made an electronic payment, but the bank won't release the payment unless T-Mobile has the correct info on hand. My wife tells him that he should talk to me & gives me my work #.

So I get a call at work. Mr. T-Mobile gives me the same explanation about our electronic payment, cites the cell number, and my wife's name (which he just obtained by talking with her). Only problem is that we cancelled T-Mobile 2 years ago and are now with Cingular. When I tell him this, he says "Sir, just this past week we merged with Cingular/AT&T". He then puts me on hold (wonderful music, by the way) while he accesses my account.

While on hold I hop on the net and start searching the Wall Street Journal and Investors Business Daily for reports on a merge. Nada. Nothing. I realize this guy is scamming.

When he comes back I play along. I tell him that I really want to make sure the payment posts on time so my credit rating doesn't suffer, but unfortunately I don't have my banking info on hand. He politely offers to help and asks me for a credit card. I tell him I don't have one with me and he replies with an incredulous "You don't??!". He then asks for my social security number. I tell him I don't know it off the top of my head, but it starts with xxx.

He starts telling ME that I'm not being honest! That's when I lower the boom and ask why there is no news on the merger between T-Mobile & Cingular. A few heated words are exchanged, and I hang up.

Long story short - he was very convincing. Had enough background info on me & my wife that I almost believed him. I figured he was calling about some old T-Mobile bill, but when he said merged with Cingular...

Be warned though - people like this are just rolling the dice hoping someone with a T-Mobile account answers. If this happens, hang up and just call them yourself!