06-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #10
Mollox
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite E92 M3

Thanks for the welcomes

Fritzed another 2/3 tank of Optimax today

On the power front I thought I'd clarify - I don't think the car is in any way underpowered (far from that, its a beast) just that I'm finding throttle response to fluctuate greatly. A lot (I'd even go so far as to say Most) of the time it just doesn't seem to be pulling as hard as it can. I realise its a complex engine and there are many environmental variables but the feeling I get is that not all of my 414 Bavarian Horses are having their noses jammed into the road at once. In trying to be objective, I'm talking pick-up from around 3,500 - 4,000 rpm in 2nd/3rd/4th....

Its never anything other than quick but every now and again it takes off properly and reminds me just what it can do, i.e.

- I find myself hanging onto the wheel for dear life
- full bottles of water get teleported from the cupholder into the back
- its blatantly much bloody faster than most of the time, pure and simple

I'm conscious that I'm used to on/off Audi throttles so have been varying between stamping on the gas and being progressive but still I get that feeling.

I'm scratching my head and wondering whether the DSC is holding it back slightly? I find the light is quite easy to miss so maybe that's kicking in a bit? Is there any way that there's a degree of traction control that takes place before it deems it necessary to flash a yellow light at you? (I've only had it 5 days so DSC has stayed ON!)

Just wondering if any of this sounds familiar?

Finally, what are BMW Assist like? If I called up and said my car feels a little down on power, would they come out? I just want all my Munich nags in time for Le Mans on thursday and dont have time to pop by a dealer.

Oh, and re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
ps; HOW THE HELL DID YOU MANAGE 250 MILES TO A TANK!!!?? Must have been all downhill with a tail wind!!!
Trust me I'm far from a fuel miser, I make cars drink!

That tank was my own particular Combined Cycle: lots of 6th gear M25 (roadworks and speed restrictions everywhere at the moment), regular doses of 'Juha Kankunnen' and lots of gratuitous acceleration, listening to that noise and of course countless 3.5 - 4k pulls trying to fathom this power thing.

Love it
Appreciate 0