12-23-2011, 12:28 AM   #14
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsclubs View Post
I have one concern, see if anyone agrees.

First I must say this is one of the more interesting and clever intake mods.

The conern is, the inert used to attach the flange, reduces the diameter of the air intake tube where the MAF sits.

My understanding of the MAF is, it measures the air mass by how fast the air flow cools the heated wire. Such cooling is proportional to the mass of air passing directly against the wire, removing heat from it.

When the tube diameter is reduced, for the same amount of air that is passing through, the velocity of the air increases, therefore more heat is removed from the wire, the MAF then reads the air mass more than when the tube is not inserted.

If the ECU reads more air, it will deliver more fuel to maintain the designed A/F ratio. Potentially this mod will enrich the fuel content, or reduce the A/F ratio.

Of course this may not be a bad thing, because we know those tunes also increase the fuel delivery and reduce the A/F ratio, in order to generate more power.

What do you guys think?
I think its marginal, if not insufficient for a diameter reduction of this magnitude.

For N52 engines, since we have a little something called valvetronic, the lift will variate to compensate for the increase, meaning we will actually see a slight decrease in fuel utilization if your theory is correct.
Appreciate 0