Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM2 View Post
Old thread but I just replaced both my VANOS check valves/filters and the top one was clean. The bottom one (exhaust?) was a little dirtier. I had no error codes and the car I thought ran pretty well and idle was smooth. But after changing these, I can tell the acceleration is much much improved and the car just pulls and pulls! I would recommend doing these for anyone who has never done it on their N52. I was able to do it fairly easily from the top side. Just needed to use the camera on my phone to locate and place the T40 into the bolts. The top one was a PITA to take out once loose as it sat flush with the engine. Tried several ways to take it out and no success…. At the end, I gave the engine a very short crank and it pushed it right out along with some oil! (If you try this make sure you place a big towel in the engine bay)… don't forget to torque these to 15 Nm!
Easiest way is to remove the right front wheel and then remove the forward wheel well liner - this give easier access to those check valves, and you can at least see what you are doing and not make a mess. Of course, giving the Vanos solenoids a good clean when doing this is also a good idea!

Appreciate 0