12-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #25
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Well, when I guess I should have mentioned about "my experiences" instead of "feal."

When I used Mobil1 0w40, my oil temps went down and I didn't lose as much oil as the castrol 5w30.

I'm still surprised by the negativity of Mobil1.
I've used it for a long time and I have never had any bad experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Placebo effect, plain and simple.
You can't "feel" the difference between oil brands in your car.
5w30 in Mobil, Castro, Redline, Royal Purple, etc will all "feel" the same.
it's kinda of funny when people suggest they can "feel" the difference in brand oil when the viscosity is the same.
I'd be willing to bet even a professional engine technician couldn't "feel" the difference between 5w20, 5w30 or 5w40.

Now 0w20 and 10w50 MIGHT be able to be felt since the "thickness" difference between the oil may be a bit noticable and "take away" a few ponies with the thick stuff.

by the way, I tried Royal Purple 5w30 in my first 335i sedan.
I dynoed my car with 1200 miles on it with the OEM oil in.
Then at 1500 miles changed the oil. Drove the car about 1000 miles with the Royal Purple in and then redynoed at the same shop under very similiar weather conditions.
I was HOPING for a 3-5 rwhp increase due to more break in miles AND the addition of the Royal Purple oil.
What I got was a dyno that was actually 1.2 rwhp lower.
Obviously WELL within the range of what you can expect from day to day differences on ANY dyno.
Bottom line, the Royal Purple didn't "add" any power to my car since the OEM oil is also the same viscosity and also fully synthetic.
I'm sure if I had 10w30 dino oil in the Royal Purple might of improved it a bit.

But fully synthetic oil of the same viscosity will pretty much do the same thing.
And surely unless your body is as accurate as a precision measuring machine, there is no way you could "feel" or "tell" which brand oil you have in your car.

Just use a good name brand fully synthetic oil in your car and change it every 5k miles and you'll be fine.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0