08-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #69
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
Do you find the rear M3 sway bar to be too rigid for your car at the track?
No but the car is quite neutral now, which may not be desirable depending how you like to drive. I have to be careful modulating the throttle out of tighter turns; I oversteered today as a matter of fact and had to correct. Rear comes out fast. I think I would be just fine with the stock rear sway; I am thinking about going with a thicker front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sle39lvr View Post
I really don't understand how putting just a front sway bar reduces understeer. Doesn't make sense to me.

I was thinking, with a decent set of coil-overs, trying the M3 rear first. Then if it's too twitchy, put the M3 front since it's cheaper and easier to replace compared to back. I am hoping that just the M3 rear bar would be "FUN"..
A thicker sway doesn't reduce understeer. All the sway bar does is regulate the time it takes the load to transfer from one side of the car to the other. Putting on a thicker sway will slow that time. However the load will still transfer; it will just happen later and the car will understeer when it does (obviously assuming you put the car in a position where it will understeer).
Every car will understeer. Every single one.

Before I do sways I would:
-Slow down first, then get:
-Grippier tires
-Increase camber (need to get camber plates - relatively inexpensive)
-Upgraded dampers/springs
-Thicker way bar up front for RWD cars - OEM M3 or RDS.