View Single Post
      11-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #14
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanBMW View Post
What about body roll/mass transfer during cornering ? Given you have the M3 sways and he does not, and his is a bit heavier being a 335i... granted he has an LSD which helps in corner exits but not in braking.

(and what do you mean by riding on the bump stops ?)
My experience with my own car was that performance springs reduced roll significantly. Adding the M3 sways on top of the perf. springs made no perceptible difference in my car. I was surprised, I thought I would feel the different rear sway bar. But I felt no difference.

Riding on bump stops means that the shock body contacts the bump stop when the car is at static (rest) height. One of my goals is to fix this by giving the car more travel.

Personally, I think that if you're most concerned about power out of a corner, AND you believe it can be fixed without an LSD, then there are two ways to improve it: reduce weight transfer by lowering the car, and soften the rear suspension relative to the front. Both will make the car worse, but it will get you closer to your goal.

I think that springs or shocks (or both) will make a lot more difference than any of the bushings you're considering. The rear sway bar will make a small difference in a direction opposite to your stated goal.

EDIT: To clarify, I am not recommending springs or shocks to fix power out of a corner. I don't think anything can properly fix that except an LSD.
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.

Last edited by luckyu; 11-02-2011 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 0