11-09-2011, 12:42 AM   #17
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyu View Post
EDIT: OK, you stated your goals in the original post: spirited driving. I see another set of Bilsteins in your future.
[snip]
Aha, so you care about ride comfort! Good to know...
My fillings are pretty good I guess, the susp was pretty stiff on my old car but the improved cornering I felt was worth it. However for most city driving the nice feel of the OEM sp susp is not the be discarded for just any stiff setup or car slam.

Quote:
You didn't mention what the RSB effect was. What the M3 RSB does in my mind is it makes the car neutral steer, increasing max mechanical grip. That's what the numbers say (but they don't include the effect of bump stops). I'm talking about high G steady state turns here.
I thought I did mention the RSB effects, maybe indirectly: improved body roll, w/o the overall further stiffening of the ride, which is what stiffer shocks+springs do. If the M3 sways make it more neutral, that's what I'm after !

Quote:
Something to think about: no matter how soft or stiff your springs are, spring resistance at static is 800 lbs per corner. The softest spring you can imagine will still have 800 lbs initial resistance. Same for sway bars, although they ramp up faster. Initial resistance is zero. The thing that will actually control initial body movement is shocks.
The 800lbs per corner is the force that the springs have to support at rest. It has no relevance when compression/load occurs, the spring rate is what counts then (as well as upon extension/unload). Given my previous experience w/ and w/o the RSB, the improvement of having one were tremendous.

The more I think about it the more I think I will just do it and see, maybe test drive an e92 with an upgraded shock+springs package or coilovers - short of finding a car with all the M3 parts on it & the OEM sport susp.

Too bad you and cvc 22349a are in the bay area - should've read all this before buying the car, that's where I got it from...
Appreciate 0