View Single Post
      07-15-2007, 12:35 PM   #37
mayno
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i / 2018 BMW 430i Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
To all of those suggesting this car was run on Dino oil.... I have seen a pics of 2001 330i with exactly the same type of sludge. THe pics came from a BMW Tech and the tech was able to confirm that the car had sythetic oil service everytime that the computer told the customer to... so like every 15,000 miles. Leaving oil that long leaves it extremely prone to sludge, especially in a hot running mill like a BMW.

Face it, you want an engine to run like new for ever? You're going to need more frequent oil changes than every 15,000 miles... 7,500 miles is a good interval as it combines long-life with avoidance of problems like this. On my PC at work, I have pics of an E39 540i where the owner changed the oil himself halfway between the scheduled service (7500 miles) and had the dealer do it at 15,000miles. His engine is CRAZY CLEAN and looks brand new when you take the valve cover off. I will try to post tomorrow if there is interst. Long and the short of it... new oil or new engine??

To Jon, if that kind of thing ever comes back you may need to suggest pulling the engine, doing appropriate disassembly, and soaking in carb cleaner/degreaser to get rid of the crap... I believe that Toyota has a procedure of this type for their V6 cars that had the huge sludge problems.

OH! And one more thing... those of you rocking the nice new twin turbo motor... if you think you can run oil temperatures of 230 degrees Farenheit and run oil 15,000 miles without sludge problems, I think you've got another thing coming. Any of you aware of what happened to the famous VW/Audi 1.8 Turbo engines from various Audi TT and VW Jetta/Golf/Passat? I will tell you... a bunch people had engine failures due to sludge building up and blocking oil passages and causing the motors to seaze. What did Audi/VW do? The shortened the oil service interal and made synthetic oil madatory. Yes, cars with Sythetic who ran to the scheduled interval also had problems. Excessive heat and long intervals causes sludge.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...rformance.aspx

I disagree: why would Mobil 1 advertise their extended performance oil to last 15,000 miles? Don't oil companies make MORE money if we all changed our oil every 3K miles (like Jiffy Lube promotes)???

Whenever a company states a maximum (i.e. 15K), they always factor in a buffer. I wouldn't be surprised if their synth oil really lasts 18-20K, but mention 15K instead.

Synth oil is FAR SUPERIOR to dino oil and can easily last 4X to 5X longer!
Appreciate 0