Post DIY: BMW Short Shift Kit (SSK) for 335i

This is a DIY in 6 parts
DIY: BMW Short Shift Kit (SSK) for 335i

BMW Part number: 25110430357
Parts Included
• Sort Shift Lever
• Nylon Shift Lever Bearing
• Circlip
• Performance Knob (Weighted, Metal/Alcantara)
• Alcantara Boot
Tools Required:
• Car Jack and Jack Stands or Ramps
• 8mm socket
• 2 Flathead screwdrivers (one large)
• Automotive grease suitable for vinyl/plastic
• Glass Cleaner
Time required: ½ hour to 1 hour.
Technical Skill Required: Low. Don’t let the size of this post fool you, this is an easy job!
Every page will have steps and corresponding pictures at the end of each post. Here we go:

Steps
1. Raise the Car. I used commonly available (read Cheap!) ramps available ay any Wal-Mart, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc. If you choose to use jack stands, ensure they are compatible with the crazy BMW jack points. I’m 5’10”, 170 and there is JUST enough room under the car with the ramps. Let the car cool down before going under. You are going to be intimate with the exhaust system.
2. ENSURE THAT THE EMERGENCY BRAKE IS FULLY ENGAGED, and chock the back wheels if you want extra safety.
Interior:
3. Remove the OEM shift knob. (I can’t believe there is a DIY for this). Just select 2nd gear and pull it straight up. The picture actually represents the final version, because I was a little way into the project before thinking that writing this up (and taking pictures) might be useful. Don’t hit your head ! Do not use any tools!
4. Remove the boot. Simply tug it straight up. There are 4 clips holding it in as noted by the circles. Do not use any tools!
5. Remove the foam bed. It’s easiest to start from the back, and then the front slides out. When reinstalling, reverse this procedure. Do not use any tools!
6. Remove the small ring of carpet. It lifts right out. Do not use any tools!
7. Pull the rubber boot. Start at any point, and simply work your way around. It might seem pretty difficult, and you may think that its not going to ever fit back in, but its actually easier to re-install than remove. Do not use any tools!
8. Here are all the parts you have removed in order
9. Here is what it should look like now:
10. Put the transmission into “Reverse” for easiest access in the next step.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0