12-20-2007, 06:51 PM   #21
jahwerx
Certified Purveyor of the High Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hov333 View Post
so if i went in with this parts list thats the image above, I could get all the peices and it would be the same as buying the SSK only cheaper? sounds very interesting, did i understand it correctly?
First you only need a subset of those parts in the diagram. I posted the diagram to give a "big picture" of just what it is we are doing, not as a definitive shopping list...

Parts 6, 7, 10 + two other parts come with the SSK:
1) the shift knob (not in diagram)
2) the shift boot (not in diagram)

Again, I found that picture on the net. . . so I'm not sure if the part numbers are accurate, or if part "6" is the Short Shifter or the OEM long shifter. (or if the diagram is even up to date!)

But that's pretty much the correct concept. If you are happy with the shift knob you have today and the boot you have, it MIGHT be cheaper just to order parts 6, 7, and 10.

I find the knob that comes with the kit is VERY nice - weighs about twice as much as the OEM knob, and just feels awesome.

If anyone does try to "part it out", rather than getting the kit, please post here with the accurate part numbers and costs. The install procedure will be identical!
Appreciate 0