Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
I'm going to agree to disagree. Not everyone that buys this kit has to being going to the drag strip or even wants to so the lack of data as you say just means 1 of a few things:

A) They havn't gone
B) They spun the tires off the car
or
C) They are not boasting about it on the internet for some stranger.

Not to mention, the 1/4 is actually the WORST and most irrelevant way of judging a cars performance, especially one that will spin halfway down the track anyway.

Now, if you had a GTR, with launch control, I'd imagine times would be a lot more consistent as traction and driver are no longer part of the equation. That is a step on the gas and go car (for the majority of power adders it has).

The most realistic and control data that can be used and always will be used is power (dynos). There are plenty of dyno's to show the power on here.

Has anyone here actually driven a typical street car that went from 300HP to 700+ crank and expected to run 10's out of the box?

650 WHP, 275 street tires? What do you expect?
You will maybe hook up 4th gear with that kind of power, 3rd if your lucky on a well prepped track.

Then you need to perfect the launch, not bog, not spin out of the hole, or snap on axle.

Then each shift has to be on point.

Slap on some drag radials and you will still spin 1st in 2nd still.

Throw on some slicks and you need to worry about drivetrain abuse, snapping axles and launching at nearly red line to ensure a proper launch.

Not to mention not everyone here is an expert driver.

I'm sorry guys, this is not a drag car, so insisting the 1/4 mile times are the best way of determining a turbo kit's performance is not at all realistic, and that goes for any platform.

I have friends with twin turbo supras that can barely get out of 11's, with 800WHP. The car is making the power, but if the platform can't put it to the ground, it doesnt mean his turbo kit failed. He went to the track a couple times, had fun, spun tire half way down the track and has a high 11 pass with a high 120 trap. The car is actually faster but he can't drive and the car is not set up right for drag racing.

However, on the highway the car is a monster, it's fun as hell, and not to mention he never wanted it to be a drag car. It's a daily driven supra, that is now a highway monster. He can't hook up 1st or 2nd to save his life and he knows it.

Cliffnotes:

-Drag times are not an indication of a turbo kit's performance where there are many variables like traction, and driver to take into consideration.

- Not everyone who bought this kit has to go to the strip.

- Not everyone who bought this kit has to post their life story on the internet, and specifically this forum.

All excuses aside, the turbo kit makes the power, the end user still has to want to make the car capable of running down the 1/4 mile, if they even wanted that from the car in the first place.
Which goes to the point....its a parking lot horsepower bragging rights thing because of all the reasons you stated as to why the 335 is a bad choice for this much power. Lots of power the BMW cant put on the ground. So much hype so few results.

BTW dont most of the guys who bought one drop in here & weren't 100% of the guys who showed up at the airport run members here posting about how they bought one & what a killer it was going to be? After all the I got one drama posts they made why did they suddenly loose interest in posting E90post to get on with there lives in obscurity?

Its also nice to hear that on the street in an illegal 130+ MPH street race run its a real beast. Guess the issue is if its such a killer on the street what happened at the legal 160/165+ airport run?

Any good performance car is not all about how much horsepower it can deliver but about how much horsepower it can actually use effectively & reliability.
FYI bear I was at the event and I have been banned for the last two months kinda hard to hype myself if I'm banned.

But!!!!! You can quote me on saying the 6AT will be a beast and put the power down. Shit it's just money
Appreciate 0