01-08-2009, 07:31 AM   #22
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongdeo View Post
Is the Alpine upgrade better than the Blaupunkt upgrade?

The two are very different.
The Alpine upgrade is the only 'BMW Sanctioned' upgrade atm.
It consists of an amplifier, replacement midrange drivers (door) and new tweeters (as others have said here, you will need the tweeter housings).
The amp gives more juice to the underseat subs and the door/tweeter components, all in one hit.

The Blaupunkt upgrade is very different. Firstly, you're only purchasing an amplifier, so you will also need to change/add speakers if you want tangible improvements. There are a couple of different amplifiers in the Blaunpunkt plug & play range, which means there are a number of different systems that people run on here.

Some are/were using the two channel only, others using the five channel unit. Some people have added just tweeters, some have added tweeters and replaced midrange drivers, and some have changed the underseat subs for the Earthquake SWS items.

Whilst I know the Blaupunkt amps are up to the job, I haven't been able to track down the power outputs stats fo the Alpine amp (included in the Alpine upgrade) to see if it's capable of powering a pair of the Earthquake subs. If so, that would surely make the easiest (and cheapest) solution of improving the sounds, if you can utilise the Alpine upgrade and add the underseat SWS subs.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0