View Single Post
      11-03-2006, 09:06 AM   #1
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

2 months in - verdict on the 330i

Just realised the other day that I have had my 330i msport for 2 whole months. In that time I have clocked up almost 4000 miles - so here is my initial verdict:

SPEED

Power delivery is very very progressive - which I find means the car doesn't necessarily FEEL particularly fast. In comparison with my previous 530d (and other tdi's I've come across the 330i is NOT as fast - UNLESS you are in exactly the right gear.

I have never owned a car which liked (and needed) to be revved like this one does.

In the 530d I could stamp on the accelerator in any gear (just about) and get a 'kick in the back' feeling.

In the 330i - to get this you need to plan ahead. But when you get it right - it's beautiful. For instance - pulling onto a busy motorway in 2nd and fighting the urge to change up a gear - then spotting a gap - stamping on the throttle and barelling up to the red line at about 70 mph is a bit of a buzz.

But it isn't hectic or even particurly urgent - 'elastic' is the phrase that comes to mind - a SURGE of controlled power.

From a standing start I'm struggling a little to get the best out of 1st gear - getting a good 1-2 shift at 35mph isn't easy - so I tend to short shift into second at 25 - then let it go - bliss.

HANDLING

I was pretty nervous about runflats and pretty dissapointed at the feel of the 530d. I wanted the nimble feeling of my old 323 coupe.

I needn't have worried - the run flats are fantastically communicative - you can 'feel' the road surface change and in particular get lot's of info about the level of grip.

Turn in is also VERY sharp. So on a sharp corner where you expect some understeer - there is just isn't any.

My only gripe is the heavy level of intervention from DSC+ on bumby roads.

COMFORT

It's great - I haven't missed the space of the 530d at all. I-drive with nav and voice control is great - but people think I am mad when I talk to the car.

The sports seats are wonderfully comfortable and supportive way better than the standard seats in the 530d

ECONOMY

In a word - shocking - 24.3 mpg
Appreciate 0