05-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #71
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
Do yourself a favour and go first class. I'm quite a fan of the train too, if you pick the right one I.e. avoid the popular times... I like being able to get to London within the hour and relax on the way there and get a bit of work done at the same time.

So 1st can have quite a few bell ends who think their are super important and like to have loud phone conversations about their shit investments. However after missing my pre booked train back to Stafford from London yesterday I gave 1st a miss as the price was £150 so I went standard which I've done plenty of times. This was a busy train back and I sat opposite someone either deranged or someone who had just injected. He went to the toilet and came back eyes rolling in his head, moaning and groaning all the way back.

Book in advance and its not much more.
I use the train a lot, in particular Virgin on the West Coast line. I have a railcard so get return advance tickets for around £50/or so, sometimes less. I only travel first when I manage to get a really cheap advance. It's only a two and a half hour or so journey so standard is generally ok.
Appreciate 0