View Single Post
      09-16-2015, 04:54 AM   #1112
320iSwede
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 320i LCI

Vibrations and resonance after timing chain replacement

Hi all,

New to the thread and I have a nice 320i, E91 with N43. Has been running like a dream for 160.000 km. I have owned it since 9.000 km.

I ran in to some issues with high emissions for some month ago and had NOX-sensor replaced without improvement. The cat was also replaced without any improvement. After some investigation they said that the timing chain was worn out and caused the cams to be out of timing.

The chain was replaced and the emissions was OK. Great

All this has been done by BMW in Sweden for a lot of money and BMW has taken some cost on goodwill.

But the story isn't over. The engine vibrates much more now after the change. First I thought that the balance shafts was wrong positioned but they are not affected by the timing chain change if I am correct informed.

I have spent a lot of time to see if something interfears when the enging moves but all seems OK.

Than I took a slow motion movie of the crank pulley when the car is on idle. I can not understand how the pulley can move like this, and I can not understand how the center bolt can rotate unevenly like it does in the movie. It should be ridgid fixated to the crank shaft.
The center bolt and the pulley was removed when the chain was changed but I don't understand how the parts could have been damaged.

Please see this link:
Appreciate 0