02-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #82
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsoldier83 View Post
Ahhh, "maximum set points".... what you just described, is a timing table with "maximum set points" (typically referred to as base timing values) that is based on a load site.

If you need race gas to hit them from the factory (assuming you're correct), that means we're not talking about light load/cruise/idle timing numbers (typically close to the ~40 degree mark on most cars), but actual WOT timing numbers, correct? If there is a timing "limit" that is attainable (with race gas or not), that means there's a table where it is capped somewhere within the DME/ECU, and typically there is going to be a load value associated with this limit... Just my $.02

Honestly, I mean this with no malice, I can't wait for ATR to be released so I can actually take a look into these DME's for myself. How I miss the days of free downloadable tuning software *sigh* haha!!
Like I said this platform is pretty unique. Get ready for 14.5:1 air/fuel ratios @ WOT and 5-10 degrees advance @ WOT. The maximum advance set points are based on load, rpm, but also gear, iat, EGT, etc. Then you have the long and short term learned factors that play in. Generally with a JB3 on pump for example the long term octane adaptive is maxed out negative which takes away 2-3 degrees of advance. Which is why you have thousands running tens of millions of miles without knock related damage, ping, or even bad looking plugs. And that is using the old logic that could not even listen for knock / drop outs. The new JB4 logic is going to prove much better. When the ATR comes out it will be interesting to see the actual knock related tables and how it all really works. There may be factors that play in that we're not aware of. But make no mistake, it does work perfectly well as many JB4 logs posted have already shown.

Mike
Appreciate 0