AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick719 View Post
According to the offset calculator at the top of the wheel and tire section, the difference in rolling diameter between your 255/35 series tire and a 225/40 series tire is 0.235%, so in that aspect you should be fine.

However, I don't know if I'd personally risk stretching a 225 series tire on a 18.5" rim. It will have a stretched look and provide less protection for the rim face. I use my stock rims (same sizes as yours) as my winter wheels, but my winter tires are 225 front and 255 rear. While it may not be the optimal size for snowy conditions, it still provides enough traction for safe driving. And there are only a few snowy days per year where I live anyway. The rest of the time it's just cold, so I prefer a staggered tire for more grip.
This is incorrect. I have the very setup you mentioned (stock sport 18s with 225 winter rubber on all corners), and it doesn't looked stretched at all. You can't tell the difference between fronts and rears at all.

I did have my transfer case replaced under warranty though...

I hadn't thuoght stretching it would make enough of a diameter difference to matter. from .22, what's the worst it could have become, doubled to .44? Even still it'd be okay... The problem with my case wasn't a wear and tear issue though. I had a defect, at least they said. Interesting.
Appreciate 0