tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH32335i View Post
...we have other cars
...Had an '07 e90 335i, with a manual transmission and loved it, but lease ended ...

I live in a small town ...have two kids that can't drive yet. My oldest will be getting his license this year and we're going to get him an SUV so we will have the family truckster, and my wife has a MB C-Class.

My car will not quite be a daily driver, but close to it.
I think the first sentence pretty well tells you whats most important: you have other cars, plural. Accordingly, I don't think it matters much whether you get the 335i or the Z4 M. Get whichever one you and your wife like best after discussing it, and test driving the cars, with her, not us. You have an embarrassing luxury one might describe as a "lack of any specific need," so there's no logical basis for deciding.

You obviously don't need one car that can function as a "jack of all trades." So, given what you've told us, I suggest you get the Z4M because the C Class will do anything the 335i can/would as goes day to day usage and the Z4M will cover the sporting desire where the C Class falls short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH32335i View Post
Would also consider an A5 but unless it's an S5 there just really isn't any performance there. Also considered a TT.

Also, do the buttons switch gears fast enough on the automatics? I might do that but I would definitely switch to the proper M3 style paddle layout.

Just looking for thoughts. Thanks.
In addition to what I've said above, I think you and your wife need to go out and drive some cars, most likely an S5, Z4M, TT(?), and a 335i/435i (it's not clear whether you want ta new or used car, but if you want a new 335i couple, you probably need to get a move on while there are still new ones to be had.). I think driving the cars will tell you whether the "button" (I presume you mean the shift paddles/levers on the steering column) yield fast enough response times and it'll let you narrow your choice down to one. That the current automatic transmissions shift more quickly than humans are physically able to do is a fact. Whether you enjoy driving an automatic is something you have to decide for yourself.

Out of curiosity, what is it that makes a grown man aged 30+, with at least 2 children, one of whom is around 16, a wife, a home, obvious experience making decisions not only for himself, but for his family, and a successful career be unable to figure out for himself what kind of car to buy? Moreover, a man who is so perplexed that he would enjoin all the 30K different opinions that don't matter from people on B-post??? The very idea that such a man exists makes no sense to me. Every single person I know -- male or female -- having the qualities I noted above would -- if they even discussed the decision with their closest friends, which they probably wouldn't -- would simply appear one day saying "look what I got" not asking before the fact "what should I do?"

Good luck and all the best. I'm sure you'll figure out something....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0