3002 tii
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, 550i, X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjt View Post
I didn't say anything about the size of the market. I spoke specifically about speed. I say this because BMWNA has become much more aggressive about voiding warranties and about making people buy out leases on modified cars. They were not so intolerant when the N54 was young. They have become this way because of the pervasiveness of modified N55/N55s. They are just so damn easy to modify, after all. I think BMW knew people would modify the cars but, I think they underestimated the demand, prevelance, ease and speed with which tuners and owners would create and adopt these modifications.

Furthermore, the new security features on the F10 M5 speak volumes to me about BMWs distaste for modifications on their FI motors, and about how much of a problem they percieve those modifications to be.

If the aftermarket and the owners were much slower to adopt these mods, I doubt BMW would be so aggressive about voiding warranties. And, I doubt they would have put so much effort into hardening their DMEs in the latest FI models.

Take a look at the aftermarket for the N/A M models. It's been around for OVER 30 years and, it's extremely visable. Yet, BMW isn't watching M3 owners like they are N54/N55 owners. They underestimated the number of modified *35 cars that would be rolling into dealer service bays with non-OEM parts/code. BMW didn't think the aftermarket would be so hasty, IMO.
Right and what I'm saying is that VW/Audi cars are just as bad and their 4cyl turbo cars have been out for much longer than the n54/55 (people have been tuning the 1.8T since 1999). Every GTI/GLI/A3/A4 owned by someone younger than 30 is most likely tuned and dealers are just as quick to void your warranty. So you can be sure BMW knew it was just a matter of time.

Every car manufacturer knows how popular and cheap ecu tuning for a turbo car is. BMW being quick to void warranties is not a reaction to any unforeseen response by customers, it was a given in my opinion. But this is off-topic, the point is the S65 is not underrated =)