View Single Post
      02-04-2011, 06:02 AM   #145
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
Former_Boosted_IS: I was wondering if you possibly checked that the thermostat in this kit allows oil to flow to the oil cooler when the oil is cold. If not then I'm afraid I'm definitely not going to use it. (I have one...)

I believe the original thermostat allows oil to flow BOTH directly to the other side of the thermostat housing and through the oil cooler line. When hot, the thermostat closes and only allows oil through the oil cooler line.

If it does not, then what you are doing is giving your engine a shot of cold oil, (ie. on a cold day,) once that thermostat does open and allows oil to flow through the oil cooler!!! I don't think this is a good thing...
The way this is set up is that the oil goes through the lines toward the thermostat all the time. When the thermostat is closed, the oil is simply circulated back through the engine (because the thermostat is closed) and the oil never gets to the oil cooler. When the thermostat opens, the oil is now pushed through the oil cooler before entering back into the engine.

This is the identical way the stock oil cooler works. Notice the picture of the stock thermostat housing below. It blocks off the path completely to the oil cooler when the thermostat is closed.

Appreciate 0