06-10-2008, 09:02 PM   #9
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 550i

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
I'm sure most of us are thinking along the same lines, but the message is getting hazy with some of the explanations.

First, if you DON'T push any buttons on the dash (i.e. start & drive), DSC is fully engaged. It does a number of things to control under/over-steer and adjust yaw, among them distribute power to the appropriate wheel(s) *actually X drive is doing this* as well as apply brake(s) to the appropriate wheel(s). DSC also cuts power (at the engine)

DTC is a SUBSET of DSC, and is activated by a quick push of the button. This allows for more aggressive driving (allows for more slippage). Great for keeping power to wheels in less than ideal conditions *you can drift the back end out in the snow*. Also better for more aggressive driving thru hot corners (i.e. tracking the car). Engine power / wheel braking is not applied as aggressively as it is in full DSC mode.

Last mode is DSC OFF (which actually doesn't shut off DSC, just limits it significantly). This mode is actuated by pressing and holding DTC button for approx. 5 seconds. In this mode, DSC activates power cut / applies braking only when the car is nearly out of control. For most drivers, this would be too late.