View Single Post
      05-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #256
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Would it surprised anyone if I have a theory on this?
The turbo(s) on these cars are cooled by both oil and water. There's a heat exchanger between the oil used to cool the turbo while in operation, and water used to cool the engine.
So while the car is moving at high speed, there's more airflow going through the radiator, therefore cooling is more efficient even if you're at higher boost and full throttle. And the second you pit in the radiator no longer has the same airflow you would get by having the car move at high speed, and therefore the cooling efficiency drops immediately while the heat in the turbo is just starting to be evacuated.
Damn good theory, but might I add that at WOT in the straights, the electronic water pump is incrementally increasing its load, and decrasing it, upon decceleration, and low speed maneuvering

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm guessing that if my theory about the coolant acting as the cooling agent for the turbo once the car is shut off is why the coolant seems to trigger limp so often, this will go a very long way to stave off the problem in addition to upgraded oil and water cooling.
As Mr. 5 has eluded to in the past, doesn't the pre-programmed electronic water pump negate any type of surface area increase? In other words it seems that the coolant mix in these cars influences water temps MUCH more than increasing the radiator's size. i.e: 100% distilled water + coolant additive stock radiator > 50/50 coolant water mix + larger radiator

Last edited by Turkeybaster115; 05-17-2011 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0