m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
Is London kind of like getting around NYC? I get around NYC fine. So if I can handle that I'm sure London wont be all that bad.
I found NYC more confined and busier than London but the NY Subway was a lot quieter. But if you are used to a busy international capital city then you will be fine.

Quote:
Are cabs really that expensive? I mean as long as you stay within the congestion zone or don't take a taxi within the zone from outside and don't have to pay any tolls right? Not that I'm lazy but looking at google maps things look close to tube stops but then you do a walking distance and it tells you 20-30 mins for nearly everything haha. To me the Judd hotel and Jury's look like a 10 min walk apart but google says its 30 minutes.
Cabs are not that expensive. In central London (unless the traffic is really busy) then most journeys will be less than £10 and never more than £20 on the worst days.

But most places are walkable from a tube stop.

For example, the Judd Hotel from St Pancras station is probably 5 minutes. Maybe 10 if you don't know where you are going.

Walking really is the best way to see London (and most cities for that matter) but I suppose it depends on if you are used to walking places back home.

I know when I was in LA a few years ago, I declared at breakfast that because it was a beautiful morning, I was going to walk to the convention centre (all of 3 blocks away) and people looked at me as if I had 2 heads.

Was a lovely 15 minute walk in the sunshine (helps with the jetlag) on nice empty sidewalks.