10-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #22
BavarianBullet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
this has nothing to do with ride quality. the topic is about the handling and the car's inability to cope with high speed or sudden changes in road levels (i.e. hill undulations). What do tires have anything to do with the car when the car is airborne?

anyways, yes, the xi suspension sucks as does the ride height. If the ride height weren't so high, i dont think it would be THAT big of a deal, but it seems that all xi cars ride around in stilts (hence the handling issues). What I don't understand is why only BMWs raise the ride height. Audi and their Quattro systems don't seem to have the 4x4 ride height issues.

Oh, and another thing, don't buy springs alone. As of this point, I'm SOO tempted to just by springs (financial situation won't allow me to buy coilovers), however, there are still horror stories going around with springs busting the OEM shocks. As of this point, shocks + springs aren't an option since no shocks are available for the xi.

And coilovers are too damn expensive (i.e. KW3). H&R? Who knows when those will come out...
Whoa, what stories of busted shocks?! That sounds kinda scary. This site or another re the busted shock stories?

Also, is the .8" increase in ride height really THAT much of a difference? I've seen some other non-335 E90s and they don't look any different in the wheel gap buy maybe they had smaller rims?

I'm not one to track or autocross my (stock) 08 335XI so I'm not that into the suspension to understand what the difference would feel like.

I get the "floatiness" though too. It's really weird, like there's just no suspension travel so the whole car gets thrown up when going over a bump vs just the wheel/suspension moving up&down.

Does anyone have a technical explanation of exactly what KX v3s or other coilovers are doing vs what the stock suspension is not able to do? e.g. the KWs have lower/higher rate springs, give 2" more travel, harder rebound and softer compression vs stock etc.

thanks

BB
Appreciate 0