View Single Post
      02-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #15
sammk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohlman View Post
I did this to my boxster I know how you feel. In the boxster one is blue the other is black and at 6am they looked the same. I poured a pint of water into the engine oil wondering why the water level was not moving

Anyway I digress. Don't start the engine. I called the AA and they came round laughter at me and then set about fixing it at my house. They literally siphoned it all out and then put in new oil. Took about an hour.

I ordered myself up a dunce hat and I suggest you do the same. Bad luck buddy.
As long as you don't start the engine, coolant mixed in oil is much better news than oil mixed in coolant.. 1/2 L of coolant in the oil oil sump will sink to the bottom of the oil pan and a full drain will take care of it. Any little residual coolant/ethanol in the engine drain passageways will simply evaporate or burn off, without any real effect on the engine oil..

Our friend here on the other hand... Was actually lucky in a way.. Since he ran the engine for 100 miles with oil in the coolant and not the other way around. Coolant mixed in oil guaranteed would have fried the engine in 100 miles.. Maybe not fried the engine at 1/2 L, but definitely some damage to the bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1madman View Post
Thanks guys, I ended up calling the AA, and will take it to a garage to flush out on Monday.

And I haven't been fully truthful with you guys either, due to embarrassment, so I do apologise seeing as how helpful the advice on here has been.

I actually poured the frigging oil in last weekend and have been happily driving around with no snow to worry about anymore! Since the oil warning light came back on I decided to check under the bonnet properly today... and noticed it said "cold" next to the cap and then noticed the engine cap, was ideally placed above the engine saying "Castrol is the recommended oil" (Ironically I bought Castrol oil due to seeing this message in the past, so why I didn't think to actually unscrew that cap, god knows). Been stressing about it all day after I realised what I had done!

So yeah I've got a nice oily mix cooling my car atm, due to driving some 100 miles in total (bursts of 10 miles), but fortunately haven't overheated.

Its a stupid mistake but seems like all it needs is a couple or so cleaning cycles, no permanent damage done. I'm sure it'll be cheaper to DIY, but there's no way this numpty is going to risk that! I don't think I can kick myself hard enough but as said I could've been a whole lot stupider.

Anyway thanks guys.
Same tips apply, but you want to make sure they flush the block a few times and use the appropriate detergent to work off all the oil from the different surfaces like the water pump impellers, various sealed joints, hoses, radiator etc. etc. etc...

It would be best to remove anything they can remove (like the expansion tank, hoses etc.), and clean them out on a bench.

Hopefully no permanent damage is done and you're back to normal life after the car gets back!