dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprio View Post
The M3 looks mint, also the best suited alloys for it too!

How do you rate the performance against a 335d seeing as you owned one prior to the m3?
Thanks Cyprio,

The performance is very, very similar to a mapped 335d. But the way it delivers it couldn't be different. Worlds apart in my opinion.

The 335d with a remap is a very quick road car. Effortlessly fast, foot down and the surge of torque will take you to the moon in back quicker than a rocket Lol.

The M3 in comparison is gutless, no torque but is all top end power. At 50mph in 6th you need to drop not 1 gear, not 2 gears but 4 gears for absolute acceleration. Pulls hard to 8k but you need to be in the 5-8k power band for it to be quick. It actually does not feel as fast as the diesel. But in fact I think it may be ever so slightly quicker than the mapped D. Time will tel. Let me get to the drag strip again. I only got one run in the M3 (last time I went) compared to the 150+ I did in the 335.

Handling wise. The M3 feels far superior. I thought the 335d handled well. (I does) but the M3's LSD is epic. The steering far more communicative. The body rolls less and it feels a little sharper.

The sound is fantastic. The rasp royally addictive !! It's a quiet car around town but over half throttle and 3k it's RAAAASSSPPPPPYYY.

Sounds like nothing else on the road.

Rate both cars highly. The M3 needs far more work to be quick. It is fun though. Especially being a manual.The 335d wins for "feeling" like a super car when it comes to acceleration. Even though it in reality is no quicker.

I raced many many E46 M3's when I had my 335d and beat all hands down.

I think it would take a good driver in the M3 to keep up with an average driver in the 335d.

The M3 "needs" to be wrung hard to be fast. Not many people are prepared to thrash a car like that. Like I said 2nd gear at 60mph is needed. I bet most only go for 3rd....