View Single Post
      03-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
wilorichie
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i 2008

320i E90 Cold start Drive/Reverse rattle

Hey Guys

I've been reading so many threads on this forum and have learnt quite a bit. There is one thread in particular which seems fairly close to my issue. The OP of that thread said the mechanic thinks the problem is the belt tensioner with this rattle.

I know hardly anything about what is under the bonnet and I wanted to check with you guys, if you think this is the same issue as mine.

When the car is completely cold (hasn't been started for say 8 hours) it will have a rattle while the car is in drive or reverse. In drive it isn't as loud. While in park or neutral, the car purs nicely.

I reverse out the driveway and it rattles really bad. I put it in drive and the rattle is very soft. Once I drive down the road and turn the corner (100m) the rattle is gone and I won't hear it again for the rest of the day.

I uploaded a video here: http://mezmamedia.com/richie/bmw_rattle/

The car is in Park (so no rattle) until 18 seconds when I put it in reverse.

Sorry about the bad video quality, but the audio is good for its purpose.

I really want to be able to go to the mechanics with a good price figure and target issue in mind so I know what to expect.

Thanks heaps guys, I really appreciate any help and advice that you guys are able to give me.

Richie
Appreciate 0