View Single Post
      03-05-2018, 03:19 PM   #15
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

Torque converter is doing a lot of the tough work your left foot has to do now. If you make a point to learn to launch the thing you can probably get more out of it. But it requires a lot more clutch slippage than you might be accustomed to, IME.

Totally agree on the drama when requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
For my DD I just want the car to feel like it can get out of its own way under normal conditions (not feel sluggish) - but pretty much every new car these days takes care of that; and then I want SOME sort of drama when I string it out (make it worth it.. this is a big place where a BMW differs from a Camry). But I can't really give a certain power number for that because there are other things that come into play: weight, torque, the transmission. Auto cars seem to put better torque to the ground at lower RPM's to me (I've never cared enough when I notice to try and analyze why lol) and don't seem to need as much power for DD duties. Maybe it's just due to how I drive, but an automatic 180-200HP car can "feel" faster at low speeds than my Bimmer just because of how it puts the power down, the power band's design, etc. Heck, it might even just be due to throttle response (throttle is way too long in the 328i IMO, can't wait for a tune to fix that).