View Single Post
      11-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #126
-Ju-
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecs0set View Post
Some notes from installation of the door speakers from my 2007 E93 ('vert) pre-LCI. These may be useful to anyone else fitting this kit:
  1. I attempted to remove the door card without disconnecting the battery. However I found a module / air bag in the door which was not listed on other posts. I therefore disconnected the battery (more difficult than expected in an E93!)
  2. On disconnecting the battery, I could not fully close the boot.
  3. On disconnecting the battery, the doors don't close easily as the window does not automatically drop. You have to push the window ahead of the door in order to tuck it under the surround.
  4. The door card appears to have some sharp edges. On a related note, blood does not mix well with a cream interior.
  5. Pelican Parts reports 3 torx screws on the driver's door card. Mine had 4. The door card is quite insistant about the need to remove the last one!
  6. I mounted the crossover to the door card. This requires a non-permanent connection to the OEM loom. Alternatively you could mount the crossover on the door itself.
  7. The cable from crossover to tweeter is very long! You may wish to re-terminate it.
  8. The crossover is NOT plug and play with the OEM loom. Crimp-style connectors are provided but I will be soldering on bullet connectors.
  9. I did not have bullet connectors in the house so I can't refit the door cards so I can't reconnect the airbag modules so I can't reconnect the battery so I can't drive the car to work so I stole the wife's car so she had to walk so I'm unlikely to get any this evening. Be advised and buy 50p worth of bullet connectors before you start!
  10. The pre-LCI E93 does not have space in the foam for the tweeters. It is a solid triangular block. Manual alteration or replacement parts 51337119173 & 51337119173 are required.
  11. I also had a crossthreaded screw on one of the midrange speakers. It must be a feature!
  12. The woofers come with a grill. The instructions advise mounting this underneath the OEM grill (plus cutting the carpet) and supply a foam spacing pad. I didn't see anyone else doing this?
  13. It's fecking cold outside. I wish I had a double garage!

Will add more tips when I fit the quadlock and amp.

HTH, Ian.
No airbag in my E93 doors, although there were a few connections to undo but all was managed without the need to disconnect the battery.
Quadlock was stuffed into the side of the centre console behind the radio, tight but not as hard as expected tbh.
I found there was not enough speaker wire supplied for the subwoofers so I had to purchased some more.
I didn't cut the carpet but I did put the foam pad onto the woofer grill between the oem cover and the woofer.
Stripping the trims out of the boot was a mare!

If you haven't ordered the bluetooth adapter then I consider it essential for setting up, especially if going for an oem type installation.

Could also do with some more info/help on equaliser settings as although it's a big improvement over stock, I think I could still improve the set up quite a bit
Appreciate 0