Palmsurfer
Doc
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i E92 N55

Garage List
2013 335i  [0.00]
Another variation...

This is the same basic modification except there’s no drilling and it costs $20:

1) Buy the 15” LED Flex-Lite kit #CZ-181R (got mine at AutoZone for $19.99 + tax)
2) Cut the wires attached to the LED’s to remove the switch and battery pack
3) Toss the switch (keep the batteries for an LED flashlight or something)
4) Remove the rubber tray from inside the armrest
5) Remove the back of the armrest (as described in the link above)
6) Slide the LED wires through the opening in the bottom of the armrest nearest the A/C plug
7) Connect the WHITE wire to the RED (same as illustration)
8) Connect the BLACK wire to the Brown (same as illustration)
9) Check to ensure the LED’s work (important step)
10) Replace the rubber tray while holding the LED strip so that the wires go down behind the rubber tray at the back corner nearest the A/C plug
11) Remove the adhesive strip from the LED’s
12) Beginning at the corner nearest the A/C plug, press the light strip against the armrest just above the rubber tray.
13) DO NOT PRESS THE LED’s TOO TIGHLY INTO THE CORNERS: IT’S UNLUCKY, WHICH IS WHY THIS IS STEP 13!!!!
14) Continue adhering the LED strip all the way around

It took me about 20 minutes, but most of my time was spent trying to figure out the best way to position the LED strip inside the armrest.

You could also put a small hole in the back corner of the rubber tray, run the wires through hole, and adhere the light strip around the bottom of the rubber tray. I like to avoid holes, and I prefer the lights above the stuff I’m trying to find in the dark…but suit yourself!

Next, I'm going to buy a glove box switch (vintage BMW or generic is about $8 on eBay), insert it at the back of the armrest, and rewire the lights through the switch. In this way, the lights will only be on when the armrest is opened. I'll post instructions and pics when finished. (Switch mod will require drilling )

Appreciate 0