View Single Post
      03-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #15
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
I can't really explain it but I have seen at least one example where pairing an incompatible mobile phone crashed iDrive to the extent where a technician had to restart the system.
This is an interesting story. However, assuming that the events were as perceived, it is not reasonable to blame the cell phone for the failure of the iDrive.

In case of incompatibility, the devices will not pair, but neither of them is supposed to crash. In case one of them did crash, the device that crashed, in this case the iDrive, has failed, since it contained a built in design fault.

The iDrive in question seems to have yet another problem. A modern, well-designed electronic device is supposed to recover from any failure by itself, or by simple assistance from the user. Most people who contribute to this forum can repair, and for sure reboot their computers, because computers are designed to allow for this convenience. It is strange that when it comes to rebooting a rather simple processor-based device in their car, the same people have to spend hours of time and often sums of money at a car dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
Unfortunately, some tech standards are like that and, fortunately, most arenīt. Could you imagine if 802.11x was like this?
BMW does not sell to the car owners anything close to e.g. the documentation available for 802.11x or any comparable standard. If they did, we would not only know pretty quickly why the iDrive failed, for many of us the pleasure of owning the ultimate driving machine would be heightened to the point of unsurpassability.
Appreciate 0