View Single Post
      12-20-2007, 02:24 PM   #5
jahwerx
Certified Purveyor of the High Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

DIY: BMW Short Shift Kit (SSK) for 335i Reply to Thread (6/6)

Interior:
35. Reinstall the rubber boot. Spray a bit of glass cleaner (I used some simple green) on the shaft of the shift lever and the inside of the boot to ease sliding it down the shaft. (“I’ve got lube” – McLovin). Point the arrow on the boot to the front of the car. When installed, it should look like the photo in step 7.
36. Reinstall the carpet trim. It only fits in one way. When installed, it should look like the photo in step 6.
37. Reinstall the foam sound insulation. Remember to tuck the front in first, then work the back in. It needs to be fully pushed down, so the clips on the boot with catch. When installed, it should look like the photo in step 5.
38. Reinstall the boot. I prefer the look of the OEM boot with my walnut trim, so I’m not using the Alcantara boot. The choice is yours. Simply push down and snap all 4 corners. When installed, it should look like the photo in step 4.
39. Reinstall the shift knob. Just line it up and push it on! When installed, it should look like the photo in step 3. I much prefer the new knob to the OEM. It reminds me of the S2000 shift knob, with some Alcantara trim. (Side note: the S2000 had the best shift action of any car I’ve driven to date. The SSK certainly helps the feel and action of the 335, but it still doesn’t compare to the crispness of that Honda gearbox!)
40. Test the shift action, and when you are satisfied, un-jack your car.
YOU ARE DONE!
The next photos show the lever in neutral (2shots) and all 7 gears, and are for illustrative purposes only. Good luck!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50