Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
Hi,

I asked Ohlins about their Road & Track suspension spring rates and they gave me the following information:

Front: 400 lb/in (70N/mm)
Rear: 343 lb/in (60N/mm)

I am no expert in spring rates, but from what I read on this forum, the rear spring rate is really low, this means that the rear springs are soft. What do you think ? I am thinking of getting a good suspension setup like the Ohlins and as I am trying to learn more about the spring rates, this setup comes up as surprising compared to others.
Spring rates are not everything either. It also depends which kinds of other modifications you have made so far to your suspension, and where you want to drive your car.

In my case, just to give an example, I know that I'll be tracking the car mostly on the Nürburgring which is far from flat and has lots of bumps. For such a circuit, a high spring rate is counterproductive as it will unsettle the car, and you may actually be faster with the spring rate the set comes with.

I'll also go with the Öhlins next spring, and will test first the original spring rate before making any modifications.

Alpina_B3_lUX