05-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #249
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I think you are either an attentive driver or you are not and the type of transmission or other technology that you have in the car is irrelevant. If you need to be shifting an MT in order to be attentive you probably should not be on the road.

The example that I always give in response to posts of this type is the example of driving in Route 75 (AKA Alligator Alley) which runs from Pembroke Pines, Florida, across the Everglades to Naples, Florida. It is a perfectly flat, perfectly straight road. In an MT you are almost always in top gear for about 100 miles and 1.5 hours. It is easily possible to do the entire dirve without a single gear change. The same scenario applies to a great deal of driving on high speed interstates. You are generally cruising at a steady speed and are rarely changing gears.

I will reiterate, you are either an attentive driver who is paying attention to surroundings and practicing situational awareness or you aren't.

To get back on topic. I have never regretted buying an MT and I have never regretted buing an AT. I research my car purposes very carefully before I spend my money.

CA
Certainly an incorrect statement. Troll harder ^^
Appreciate 0