05-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #15
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
Obtaining BMW software to perform said coding without a license from BMW may not be legal, most likely it is not. However, you don't need BMW's software to perform coding in most cases.
The issue here lies within context. Yes, you can do most things with an Autologic unit. However, how many of the users here have an Autologic unit lying around? Single digits at most.

For the sake of discussion on this forum at least, it means downloading, installing, and using NCS Expert with BMW's daten files. As we all know, those are BMW internal, and BMW holds the licensing and intellectual property rights. There's no two ways around it - downloading NCS Expert and BMW daten files is illegal.

Once again, I'm not speaking to ethics, but solely to legality under US intellectual property and DMCA laws.