View Single Post
      12-04-2007, 04:02 PM   #2
EniLab
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Few comments:

To fully appreciate the CS design the car has to be seen in person ... the pics do not do the car any justice at all ... not making that up ... When I saw the first pics of the car I was shocked - in a negative sense: the car was too conservative for my case, and some details were very overdone. ut when seen it live, I changed my mind for 180 degrees ... IRL the car looks superb. Classy, majestic, sophisticated, glorious ... having enormous presence. All the details makes sense, and the overall design works perfectly. The car is VERY low & wide. And long. Sleek & powerful at the same time. It suits BMW brand extremely well. No current BMW design has such luxury feel as CS has.

CS design showcase the more restrained design of the high-end luxury future BMW models, while the low-end models & the sporty ones will again come with more playful design (mind that Z2 is coming! Making Z4 design more mature).
Yet some design details will spread across the line in the future: eg. huge twin kidney grille, LED rear lights with significant BMW LED strips Ver 2.0 etc, very sharp character lines etc.

Mind that BMW design decisions are also based on aesthetic trends. BMW found out that the era of so called "zen aesthetic" or "reduced design" is coming - exterior & interior. Very simple yet powerful design: simple yet sharp lines, simple yet bold details, cool & calm yet strong appearence, simple yet intriguing shapes. Meaning: less design experiments, much more attention to details. Yet BMW will stick with ultra-modern dynamic design: featuring Ver 2.0 flame surfacing. Debuting new paints to reinforce the dynamic appearence.

Do not expect copy/paste moves in design. So, no copy/pasting CS design elements to the other models. Influence: yes. Copying: no. Like I said: expect huge kidneys, new LED rear lights, sharp yet simple lines, strong details. And much more classy & refined (but not conventional & boring!!!) designs.

F01 7er will be the first model featuring the new design. The upcoming models (Z4, F5, X1, Z2, new X3 & 1er, new 6er & 5er etc) even more. The "new 8er" - production version of CS Concept will be very influenced by the Concept yet some details will be heavily modified. But you can see the general shape & design idea.

The new design will definitely be less experimental (except the experiments with new shapes: eg. F5 PAS, X6 SAC, X1 SAV etc), much more sophisticated, refined & classy / luxurious (= better design execution in production process), yet even more dynamic & aggressive at the same time.

My opinion: I like the new design very much. They look much more luxurious & classy than the current designs. I call the design "the aggressive luxury". Very modern & fresh as well. More detailed. Definitely looking as a premium luxury brand cars.
But ... Since they use the same design elements as today (flame surfacing, "Bangle-butt" boot lids (yet more refined!), headlight eyebrows, shark fin antenna etc) the new design does not look as much innovative as the current designs. Less revolution, more evolution. I like to call it "evolutionary revolution", or "revolution Ver. 1.1".

The future BMW cars will look great, and will definitely stand out again ... Because all the other new cars in the showrooms will be kind a copies of BMW Ver. 1.0 designs.

:smile:
Appreciate 0