View Single Post
      02-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #243
Freelo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i (sold)

I am not an expert but can speak from recent experience. I just did the rear on my car with M3 subframe bushings, m3 rear sway, M3 rear guide rod and Velocity rear toe arms. I did not do the rear wishbones.

I already had Koni yellow shocks and BMW performance yellow springs, M3 front bits and M3 front swaybar.

The overall improvement was dramatic. As best I can tell, the subframe bushinngs were absolutely the most important change. The M3 bushings eliminate 80-90% of the rear end deflection and "slop" in aggressive cornering. They also remove much of the deflection felt on hard acceleration, where it almost felt like I was stretching a rubber band in the back. I think the arms are also contributing to the improvement, but to a lesser extent. Hard to tell, as I did them all at the same time. I was advised by Harold at HP Autowerks and Matt at Camber-Toe on this and their advice is highly reliable.

With regard to the M3 rear swaybar, I am very happy I did this. The labor is basically already included when you are doing subframe bushings. It is way stiffer than stock and the car corners much much flatter. My springs are not too stiff so the sway does not hurt cornering traction all that much. I am told that with really stiff springs (eg Bilstein coilovers), that the M3 rear sway can hurt traction more if you're running without LSD (as I am). There is a lot written on this topic by people who know more than me.

So, in your situation and thinking about budget, I'd do all the front pieces, the subframe bushings, maybe the M3 rear sway, and of course the coilovers and then drive it and see if the other rear M3 parts are needed.
Appreciate 0