View Single Post
      02-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #16
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
People have claimed that the hot air coming from the radiator would cause these IATs. This claim is not true for a few reasons:

1) During this entire session, coolant temps were rock steady in the 205-210 degree range. Therefore, it is very unlikely that the 30deg swings in IAT were due to coolant temp changes. They are likely due to the turbos heating up the air.
I assume this is aimed at me. I never said it had anything to do with coolant temperature, I said it had to do with the pump duty cycle. The car aims to keep the coolant at nearly the same temp all the time, the difference is when your driving hard the car ramps the pump WAY up.

Because of this a LOT more coolant is flowing through the radiator, sure the temps stay the same, but a LOT more heat is being removed from the coolant through the radiator which then goes into those filters. This should be pretty clear to anyone, if you floor the car obviously a lot more heat is being produced. I can guarantee you the intake temps at the filter are higher as I have personally recorded them raising 50 degrees from just a quick pull.

I've said several times that looking at post intercooler charge air temps are only half the picture, especially if you're running a tune. If the turbos have to spool more (when they are already running into the diminishing returns area of effeciency) to get the same pressure performance will suffer, the question is will it be offset by less restriction. I make no assumption on this.

If you want to test it go to a dyno and make sure the car is only intaking 160 degree air (maybe use a carpet dryer or something IDK) and see how it goes. I personally don't care enough to do this since I have the best of both worlds now.