View Single Post
      01-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #37
sohlman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330iSE

I would definantly recomend insurance and have used Moris many times for my track car. Basically at track days you are responsible for your car only. Their policy you name an amount you want to insure for and the excess is 10%. They will pay out if you have an accident up to that value to fix your car. Quite simple really.

As for Bedford it's a great circuit to learn on as there is nothing to hit. However being very flat and long it can be difficult to learn. The curb on the back straight chicane is big. I hit it quite hard in mine and got airborn at about 110mph.

I would agree a novice day is worth doing for your first couple of days.

If you want a well organised day i would suggest joining the BMW Car Club day at Snetterton on the 1st March. The organiser is Nick Wright. This is limited to number and novices get to go out first. They also give free tuition for members. Send me a PM and i can point you in the right direction

As for wear and tear if you do it right it can be minimal, but get it wrong and you can ruin your discs pads and tyres. For example if you go out and drive 20 laps in a road car you won't have brakes or tyres left. A road tyre will operate up to a certain temperature and then will go off. You will feel this. If you carry on driving hard the tread will delaminate and will literally peal off the carcus of the tyre. Trust me i have seen this happen. A guy came into the pits in a 335d after about 20 laps and his tyres peeled off as he drove onto the cold garage floor.

Brakes will go off very quickly so i recomend not late braking in a road car. If you sense them going off slow down for a cool down lap and come in.

Never leave your handbrake on when you come in.

Also make sure the car is tip top mechanically it will get a workout. All levels should be on maximum

Also take out all loose bits of trim.

Filming on Iphone (in a a word no) Get a Go Pro. However i would save that for after you have done a couple. You won't be quick first time out.

Hope this helps. Happy to chat with you as haev done a number now.

James