09-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #34
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpin325Ci View Post
After doing research with consumers and what's available on the market, I'm pursuing the avenue of an emergency backup safety device for use with any vehicle, in the situation that a DIYer is lifting their car to work under it. Reading across several forums and various articles, I've concluded that accidents happen and cars fall for various reasons and more often than you might think. Misuse is a major reason and cause behind accidents happening, so I'd like to make something very simple to use, "fool proof."

My initial and main concept that I'm going with so far is a deployable air bag that would, in an instant, inflate and catch the car when sensed that it is falling. Here are some quick sketches to get the concepts across. PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR OPINIONS.

A device that would be attached to and left with the jack stand. That way if the jack stand slips or fails for any reason, this device would deploy and support directly where you wanted the car supported to begin with.

A device that would be attached to the bottom of your car, so it CAN'T be forgotten to be put in place.

A stand alone unit that you would place wherever you wanted it.

Same concept, mimicking a turtle shell aesthetic/form.

I'm also thinking of the idea of an inflatable airbag that would be used instead of a jackstand. So it would be inflated and then put under the car for it to sit on, with the idea that it would have more surface area contact with the car and thus be less likely that the car can slip off of it. I'm not sure if that would be a solution that would be better and users would like though. And that sort of already exists, but is used as the lifting device.

Here are a few images of my inspiration I've been using to develop these concepts.

I am open to all feedback. What do you like, what do you not like. Would it work, would you use it. What would you change. Or even different concepts all together.

Thanks
This is the Ferrari FXX the jacks are already built into the car... maybe something off of this?

I think this one is really funny though
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.

Last edited by gunnerxq; 09-29-2012 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0