08-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #70
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
Right now my car is still stock but I'm leaning toward the VAC. Assuming their claims are accurate (i.e. only the timing of the fuel injection is changed, and no additional fuel is used) it seems it won't affect the lifespan of the DPF over the long haul. I'm not looking for ridiculous gains, since the car is fun enough even in stock form.

If I got a JBD I'd probably just leave it at 65%. Also, if the JBD is telling the computer that a different amount of fuel is being used vs. what's actually being used, then it will skew the computer readings, won't it? i.e. indicated fuel economy, distance-to-empty, etc.
They are both piggybacks and I do believe the VAC and JBD operate and make power in a very similar manner, in that they both intercept the signal from the ECU to the high pressure rail sensor, in short they are signal benders. The only way to effectively modify injection timing is by reprogramming the ecu. And yes, your theory regarding skewing the computer readings is correct, but that theory applies to both. If your ecu is being told not enough fuel is being delivered then your computer is reading that your consumption is lower. Diesels make extra power by injecting more fuel which is accomplished either through increasing injection timing or increasing fuel pump pressure; more fuel being delivered translates into more power, which more often then not yields lower mpg's. That said under certain circumstances you are likely to experience better than avg fuel economy simply because your engine doesn't have to work as hard to maintain speed since it is makeing more power lower in the rpm band, which I think will make itself more evident during highway traveling.

Last edited by cssnms; 08-16-2011 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0