View Single Post
      06-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #92
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Fine Sir, I have a complete auto shop at my house with a Rotary SPO A10 auto lift and over $7,000 worth of tools. I've been working on cars since I was 12 years old. I can change the oil in my car every day if I wanted to. An oil change for me costs $68 for the oil change kit and about an hour's labor of my time (less than what you probably spend taking and picking your car up for an oil change).

All businesses try maximize revenue and minimize costs, and the best revenue generation for an automobile company is to keep their products on the road as long as possible to maximize the population of vehicles to sell highly profitable repair and maintenance parts, and sell repair services for (for which the development costs have long been amortized). It is a business model BMW has followed for a long time. It is why you can still get new OEM parts for BMWs that go back 30 some odd years, it's why BMW has a division called Mobile Tradition to help owners rebuild classic BMWs and make parts for old cars that the parts have been discontinued.

Since you are familiar with their books, you surely must know BMW is a highly profitable car company, and recognized as such by its peers in the automotive industry. Why would BMW risk its reputation it has fought so long and hard for, at great expense, for the last 40 years, to now make their cars obsolete by default because they want to short change the customer on two oil changes and have engines prematurely die due to oil sludging issues? It makes no business sense. Please don't insult my intelligence (having sold manufactured products and integrated systems to customers for the past 25 years) that BMW's business model is to screw the customer and make them buy a new $50K car every 100,000 miles. If the car needs five oil changes during the 50,000 mile warranty instead of three, then BMW would up the retail price of the car by $200 to cover the cost. It wouldn't make their cars any less desirable or less price competitive with the competition.

I stand by my previous assessment; if you have no intellegence, it can't be insulted...
Damnit, there you go trying to inject logic into this forum. Don't you know that is an impossible task.
Appreciate 0